Doors or Drawers? Which to Choose in Oak Kitchens
When designing new oak kitchens, it can be tricky to decide how to best configure your solid wood kitchen cabinets. You may decide to leave them open, use our kitchen unit doors to hide away the contents, or give yourself some additional storage options with a set of kitchen drawers.
At Solid Wood Kitchen Cabinets, our huge choice makes it incredibly easy to choose the right combination of drawers and cabinets. Our drawers are available in three distinct heights, and all options feature solid oak frontals and solid oak panels. Each drawer has a stainless steel frame and incorporates soft-close mechanisms, giving them a quality look and feel.
Our cabinet doors are also made from solid oak, and are available in Shaker or Traditional styles, in the finish of your choice. We offer sanded, lacquered or painted options, with a wide variety of Farrow & Ball colours available as standard; if you would prefer, we can also cater for bespoke Farrow & Ball paints.
In order to help you decide which arrangement of doors and drawers to choose, consider the following key points:
How is your existing kitchen arranged?
- Think about how you use your existing kitchen and how you would improve it.
- Does the arrangement work at present, or do you need a wider variety of storage?
Do I have enough drawers in my kitchen, and do I make best use of them?
- When working in your existing kitchen, do you find yourself running out of drawer space?
- Consider whether you have made best use of existing drawers, or if more cabinets might be a better solution.
Is there enough cabinet storage space available?
- Would you use more cabinets or do many of them regularly stay empty?
- If you need more cabinets, are you making the most of wall space, or should you consider a full-height unit?
Should I consider shelving?
- Open shelving is great for showing off ornaments or storing regularly used dinnerware.
- Shelves can also help to break up a number of wall cabinets and add variety to your kitchen storage options.
Are my drawers deep enough, or should I consider some pan drawers instead?
- Don’t restrict yourself to shallow drawers: deeper pan drawers are useful for storing cookware rather than storing it in a cupboard.
- Deep drawers can also be used to store plates and other dinnerware.
Do I even need doors or drawers on every unit?
- Our elegant solid oak kitchen units don’t always need frontals or drawers. Leave them open to store books, ornaments and other items.
- Consider other open units such as our wine racks and curved end units, too.