How to Clean Tarnished Brass Door Handles
As a popular material, brass has a number of applications including handles and knobs for kitchen cabinet doors. Tarnished brass door handles can be easily cleaned and brought back to their former glory where they will shine and enhance a traditional kitchen. In this information guide, we show you how to clean brass door handles that have become tarnished.
There are two methods to clean brass door handles that have become tarnished. For the first method:
- Cut a lemon in half and sprinkle it with salt.
- Rub the lemon over the brass handle and then wipe clean.
Please note that this method should not be used on brass plate or lacquered metal. You can clean these types with warm soapy water.
For the second method, you will need a bowl, measuring spoons, flour, salt and vinegar. If possible, we recommend removing your handles first to protect your cabinet or drawer frontals.
- Into the bowl, add one tablespoon each of flour, salt and vinegar then mix them together into a paste.
- Rub the paste on to the surface of the brass handle and then leave it for two to five minutes, depending on how badly they are tarnished.
- Whilst you wait, mix hot water with soap in a separate bowl then rinse off the paste.
- Using a clean lint-free cloth, dry the handle and then, in a circular motion, start to buff the surface. You will start to see the brass being restored.
Both of these methods work equally well for copper handles too. By applying them, you can restore the natural beauty of your brass handles. If you have any questions about any of our handles and knobs, please contact us.