Installing Cabinet End Panels in Solid Oak Kitchens
Kitchen end panels are a popular item used frequently in solid oak kitchens to create a truly ‘finished’ look. Our 27mm thick tongue and groove cabinet end panels are designed to complement our solid oak kitchen cupboard, and can be used with either the tongue & groove side, or flat oak side on show. We are also able to pre-paint them in any of the Farrow & Ball colours available – perfect for matching our oak kitchen doors and drawer fronts.
Cabinet end panels can either be used as a decorative trim for finishing a run of cabinets, or to cover the side of an under-counter appliance, such as a dishwasher or refrigerator.
Attaching to the end of a cabinet is relatively easy:
- Cut the end panel to size to match your cabinet. This can be done with a jigsaw, router or circular saw.
- If you have chosen sanded oak end panels and want to apply your own protective treatment such as Rustins Danish Oil, it should be applied at this point.
- On the adjacent cabinet, drill 4 small pilot holes close to the four corners of the side panel.
- Attach the end panel using 4 screws. If using our own 18mm thick oak cabinets, we recommend using 25mm long screws with a rounded head.
If using an end panel to cover an appliance, please follow this process instead:
- Cut the end panel to size using a router, jigsaw or circular saw, so that the size corresponds with the appliance you wish to fix it to.
- If you have chosen sanded oak end panels, you may want to paint or treat them at this point with Rustins Danish Oil.
There are two ways in which the panel can be attached to the wall and floor:
The first option is to attach a small, rectangular section of wood to the adjacent wall, and to the floor, then screw the end panel into this wooden block.
The second option is to use a small metal L-bracket on the inside of the panel that will attach it to the floor and the wall. Use screws no longer than 20mm when attaching the bracket to the panel.
We also suggest using a moisture barrier on the inside of the end panel to deflect excess heat and moisture.
Our oak end panels start at just £32.50, and can be purchased in a sanded, lacquered or pre-painted finish. A variety of sizes ranging from 570mm x 325mm x 18mm up to 3000mm x 620mm x 27mm are available – see our end panels product page for further details.
If you would like to get an accurate representation of the quality of the oak used to create our end panels, we recommend ordering one of our 27mm thick oak worktop samples.
If you are looking to install other items in your kitchen, you may find the following guides useful:
This guide was originally published on March 20th 2015 but was updated on April 25th 2018 to include additional information