Laminate Worktops: The Complete Solid Wood Kitchen Cabinets Guide
At Solid Wood Kitchen Cabinets we have a wide range of wooden worktops to complement our oak kitchens, but as design trends and priorities change, we understand that people are looking for a choice of kitchen worktops. To offer our customers an improved selection of surfaces, we now offer a collection of laminate kitchen countertops; this information guide covers everything you might need to know about these affordable, low-maintenance worktops.
Our range of laminate kitchen worktops offers a variety of unique decors to suit every interior theme and budget.
If you like the look of our solid wood worktops but would prefer something with a little less maintenance, our range of wood-effect laminate worktops are ideal. This selection includes oak, walnut, beech and other timber imitations. Some replicate the look of a block wood surface whilst others feature an unbroken stave pattern similar to a full stave surface.
Alternatively, our collection of laminate surfaces also features a number of stone-effect countertops that offer the appearance of a real stone worktop, but at a much lower price. Our range includes a variety of decors including marble, granite, concrete and slate styles.
If neither of the above natural surface imitations suit your kitchen design theme, there are many other options to choose from including quartz-effect, sparkle and many more.
Whether you are looking for a high-gloss surface to complement existing appliances and accessories, or would prefer a matt surface to hide wear and tear, there are many different finishes to choose from when purchasing a laminate worktop.
- Gloss laminate worktops have a highly-reflective finish and are recommended for modern kitchens. These surfaces work well in kitchens lacking in natural light as they help to reflect light around the kitchen, though to keep clean may require more care than a matt worktop.
- Standard (Semi-Gloss)
- Semi-gloss worktops provide a good middle ground between gloss and matt surfaces, and are often slightly reflective, but with a low-lustre appearance that better suits some wood and stone-effect surfaces.
- Textured (Gloss)
- Some stone-effect worktops feature a textured surface that reproduces the gloss look of real polished stone, whilst having a slightly more tactile feel than gloss or semi-gloss surfaces.
- Textured (Matt)
- Textured worktops that imitate the feel of a real stone or wood surface often have a textured finish that also adds to the realism of the surface. These are some of the most accurate laminate worktops available, and offer a matt finish to replicate natural materials.
- Textured (Quartz)
- To replicate real quartz worktops, some of the quartz-effect laminate worktops in our collection have a textured dimple finish that reflects light in a way that imitates the look of real quartz worktops.
- Extra Matt
- Laminate worktops with an Extra Matt finish are often considered the best choice for contemporary kitchens. They offer a subtle finish that blends well with oak kitchen units and accessories.
- Some of the laminate worktops in our collection off are Mirage finish. This combines areas of matt and gloss to create a natural appearance that is both eye-catching and premium in feel.
Some of the stand-out laminate surfaces in our collection are known as AEON™ laminate worktops. AEON surfaces not only have an extra-realistic appearance, but have an enhanced performance surface that is between three and five times more hard-wearing than standard laminate.
These surfaces are more resistant to scratches, wear and scuffs than any other laminate worktop, and accentuate the look of wood and stone-effect decors.
EDGE PROFILE CHOICES
The laminate kitchen worktops in our collection come in three different edge types: two smooth post-formed and one square edge profile.
3mm Post-Form Edge
This smooth edge profile features a rounded edge on the top and bottom of the worktop’s front long edge. With a radius measuring 3mm, this profile offers a smooth, subtle edge sealed on the bottom to form a drip barrier.
6mm Post-Form Edge
This edge profile is created in the same way as on our 3mm post-form edge worktops, but features a larger 6mm profile to create a more rounded, smoother edge on the top and bottom of the worktop’s leading edge.
If you are looking for a worktop with a contemporary, sturdy feel, consider one of our laminate worktops with a square edge profile.
MATERIALS AND CONSTRUCTION
Our range of laminate worktops includes a variety of sizes, with surfaces up to 900mm wide that are perfect for kitchen islands and breakfast bars.
These laminate kitchen worktops are created by covering a section of composite fibreboard in a decorative laminate overlay, which is then sealed together with a clear layer using high pressure and heat. This creates a hard-wearing, hygienic and impact-resistant finish that also resists moisture ingress, too. The underside of each worktop is also protected with a foil impregnated resin that helps to resist moisture from sinks and appliances.
Our laminate worktops are made using an EN312:2003 E1 grade high-density fibre-board core that is PEFC certified and more environmentally friendly than many alternatives.
Every surface in our range is made in the UK and has been awarded the FIRA Gold certification for product excellence.
MAINTENANCE AND AFTERCARE
Cleaning and taking care of a laminate worktop is relatively easy. These simple steps should be followed to ensure that worktops remain in the best possible condition.
- Do not cut directly on a laminate surface as – particularly in the case of gloss laminates – this could leave scratches on the surface.
- Mop up any spillages immediately. Although laminate worktops are water resistant, this diligence helps to prevent staining.
- Do not place hot cookware directly on the worktops. Instead use a pan stand to ensure the surface is not damaged by the heat.
- To keep your worktops clean, simply use warm soapy water and a soft cloth. It is best to avoid abrasive chemicals and scouring pads.
LAMINATE WORKTOP ACCESSORIES
To help install your laminate worktops and help them to blend in to your kitchen, we offer a range of matching accessories, including coordinating upstands and splashbacks.
Upstands provide an elegant alternative to kitchen tiles, and create a seamless and hygienic barrier between the worktop and wall, whilst helping to disguise any gaps.
Splashbacks are covered in the same matching decor as our laminate worktops, and are a great alternative to tiles or glass splashbacks, and can be easily cut to fit the gap between your worktop and any wall cabinets.
PRICE AND AVAILABILITY
We purchase our laminate worktop stock in bulk, allowing us to offer competitively-priced laminate worktops, whilst also providing excellent customer service and support.
Our worktops are kept in stock at all times, and can be quickly delivered via our in-house 2Man delivery service.
Laminate worktop prices start from just £60.
ORDER A SAMPLE
If you want to see what our laminate worktops look like before placing your order, we offer two laminate worktop sample packs, which together contain the entire range of laminate decors in our collection.
These sample packs cost just £5 including delivery, and allow you to take a closer look at the laminate surfaces in our range in the comfort of your own home.
If – after ordering a sample pack – you go on to order a worktop from us, we will happily refund the cost of the pack for you.